Dr. Lora Shahine
Board Certified in Obstetrics and Gynecology
Certified in Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility
Subspecialty Training/Fellowship in Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility - Stanford University in Palo Alto, CA
Residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at University of California at San Francisco, CA
Doctor of Medicine from Wake Forest University School of Medicine in Winston-Salem, NC
Member of the Pacific Coast Reproductive Society and the American Society of Reproductive Medicine
Clinical Faculty in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at University of Washington
Top Doctor Honors by Seattle magazine and Seattle Metropolitan magazine
Lora Shahine, M.D., F.A.C.O.G., joined Pacific NW Fertility after completing her fellowship in Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility at Stanford University. During her time at Stanford, Dr. Shahine served as a Clinical Instructor in the department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, contributed several research publications in women’s health and infertility, and trained in one of the few Centers for Recurrent Pregnancy Loss in the United States.
“When I established my practice in Seattle, I quickly realized that there were very few health care providers who saw patients for recurrent pregnancy loss in the Pacific Northwest. One of the missions of the Center for Recurrent Pregnancy Loss at PNWF is to increase awareness regarding this important issue to health care providers and patients alike. We accomplish this goal with educations lectures, peer-reviewed research, and other forms of outreach.”
Dr. Shahine is board certified in Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility as well as Obstetrics and Gynecology. She is a fellow in The American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology and a member of The American Society of Reproductive Medicine (ASRM), The Washington State Obstetrical Association, The Seattle Gynecology Society, and The Pacific Coast Reproductive Society.
“It is important to participate in research and go to medical conferences with our peers. One of the reasons I chose this field of medicine is the fast paced advances in technology that provide my patient with higher success and optimal care.”
Dr. Shahine earned her M.D. at Wake Forest University School of Medicine in North Carolina where she received the Faculty Award for outstanding academic and clinical achievement and was inducted in the national medical school honor society, Alpha Omega Alpha.
She completed her residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at the University of California at San Francisco (UCSF) where she was honored with teaching awards for her dedication to mentoring medical students and other residents and received the Jim Green Award for outstanding clinical and research achievement in residency upon graduation.
“I have always enjoyed teaching and one aspect of being a good physician is being a good teacher. I want my patients to understand what we are doing with treatments – it’s an exciting way for the patient to participate in their own care.”
Dr. Shahine met her husband at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. where she majored in Biology and graduated with honors. They have lived on both coasts of the United States, but are excited to call Seattle home and raise their children here.
She feels it is an honor to care for people who are having difficulty starting their family and she is dedicated to providing individualized care for her patients. Her areas of interest include infertility, in vitro fertilization, and recurrent pregnancy loss.
As the Director of The Pacific NW Fertility Recurrent Pregnancy Loss Program, Dr. Shahine provides up to date, thorough, and personalized care for individuals suffering from multiple miscarriages. Dr. Shahine feels that the inability to carry a pregnancy to term is a unique type of infertility and she is dedicated to helping patients every step of the way as they build their family.
Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility Obstetrics and Gynecology
Subspecialty Training/Fellowship Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility – Stanford University
Obstetrics and Gynecology at University of California at San Francisco, CA
Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston-Salem, NC
“Unexplained Recurrent Pregnancy Loss: Options for Treatment.” Washington State Obstetrical Association Annual Meeting. December 7, 2013. Fairmont Hotel, Seattle, WA.
“Update on Recurrent Pregnancy Loss: Evaluation and Management for the Primary Care Physician. 36thAnnual National Conference for Advanced Practice in Primary and Acute Care. November 1, 2013. Seattle Convention Center, Seattle, WA.
“Update in Treatment and Evaluation of Recurrent Pregnancy Loss.” Seattle Gynecology Society, September 20, 2013. Washington Athletic Club, Seattle, WA
“Fertility for the Primary Care Physician.” Resident Lecture Series, Family Medicine, University of Washington, February 28, 2012. University of Washington, Seattle, WA.
“Ethnicity and IVF outcome.” The Reproductive and Stem Cell Biology Retreat, January 30, 2009. Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA.
Hirsuitism.” Medical Student Lecture Series, November 2007, Stanford University Medical Center, Palo Alto, CA.
Primary Amernorrhea.” Medical Student Lecture Series, September 2006, Stanford University Medical Center, Palo Alto, CA.
Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis: History and Future.” Grand Rounds, April 2006, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology. University of California at San Francisco Medical Center, San Francisco, CA.
Ectopic Pregnancy: Treatment and Consequences.” Grand Rounds, October 2005, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology. University of California at San Francisco Medical Center, San Francisco, CA
"Miscarriage rates in patients with recurrent pregnancy loss undergoing oocyte donation." Poster presentation at The American Society of Reproductive Medicine Meeting, Atlanta, GA, 2010.
"Asian ethnicity associated with decreased live birth rate after blastocyst transfer." Poster presentation at The Pacific Coast Reproductive Society Meeting, Palm Springs, 2008.
"The Effect of Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors on In Vitro Fertilization Outcome." Poster presentation at The Pacific Coast Reproductive Society Meeting, Palm Springs, 2008.
"Exogenous follicle stimulating hormone and risk of aneuploidy." Oral presentation at The American Society of Reproductive Medicine Meeting, Washington, DC, 2007.
“Surgical treatment of endometriosis and embryo quality.” Poster presentation at The American Society of Reproductive Medicine Meeting, Washington, DC, 2007.
“Metformin and fetal malformations.” Correspondance Fert Stert 2007; 87:1240.
“Pregnancy and multiple gestation rates in donor oocyte cycles in relation to the number of embryos transferred.” Poster presentation at The Pacific Coast Reproductive Society Meeting, Palm Springs, 2006.
“Are all egg donors created equal?” Poster presentation at The Pacific Coast Reproductive Society Meeting, Palm Springs, 2006.
“The effect of a vanishing twin on perinatal outcomes.” Oral presentation at The American Society of Reproductive Medicine Meeting, Montreal, QC, Canada, 2005.
Kelly L, Moran W, Velez R, Russell G, Case D, Paskett E. Breast cancer screening: The role of physician personal characteristics and professional experience. J Gen Int Med. 2001; 16:203-204.
Abernathy DR, Kelly LP, Andrawis, NS. Endothelin-1 (ET-1) induces prolonged AP-1 transcription factor DNA binding activity in vascular smooth muscle cells (VSMC) isolated from aged Fischer 344 rats. FASEB Journal 1996; 10:558.
The following documents can be found on PubMed.gov:
Shahine LShahine LK
- Shahine LK,Lathi R. Embryo Selection with Preimplantation Chromosomal Screening in Patients with Recurrent Pregnancy Loss. Semin Reprod Med 2014;32:93-99.
- Shahine LK, Milki AA, Westphal LM, Baker VL, Behr B, Lathi R. Day 2 versus Day 3 embryo transfer in poor responders: a prospective randomized controlled trial. Fert Stert 2011; 95:330-332.
- Masie JA,Shahine LK, Milki AA, Westphal LM, Lathi RL. Ovarian stimulation and risk of aneuploid conceptions. Fert Stert 2011; 95:970-972.
- Banerjee P, Chot B,Shahine LK, et al. Deep phenotyping to predict live birth outcomes in in vitro fertilization.PNAS2010;107(31):13570-13575.
- Langen ES,Shahine LK, Lamb JD, Lathi RB, Milki AA, Fujimoto VY, Westphal LM. Asian ethnicity and poor outcomes after in vitro fertilization blastocyst transfer.Obstet Gynecol.2010 Mar;115(3):591-6.
- Shahine LK, Lamb JD, Langen E, Lathi RB, Milki AA, Westphal LM. Poor Prognosis with In Vitro Fertilization in Indian Women Compared to Caucasian Women Despite Similar Embryo Quality. PLoS One 2009. [In Press]
- Shahine LK, Lathi RB, Baker VL. Oocyte retrieval versus conversion to intrauterine insemination in patients with poor response to gonadotropin therapy. Fertil Steril 2009;92:1315-17.
- Friedman B,Shahine LK, Rogers J, Lathi RB. Effect of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors on in vitro fertilization outcome. Fertil Steril 2009;92:1312-14.
- Huang K,Shahine LK, Gupta N, Westphal LM. Controlled Ovarian Hyperstimulation and Gestational Surrogacy: A Feasible Option for Patients with Lung Transplant. J Reprod Med 2009 [In press].
- Shahine LK, Burney RO, Behr B, Milki AA, Westphal LM, Lathi RB. Embryo quality in infertile patients before and after laparoscopic treatment of endometriosis. J Assist Reprod Genet J Assist Reprod Genet. 2009;26(2-3):69-73.
- Jun SH, Choi B,Shahine L, Westphal LM, Behr B, Reijo Pera RA, Wong WH, Yao MW. Defining human embryo phenotypes by cohort-specific prognostic factors. PLoS ONE. 2008; Jul 2; 3(7) e2562.
- Shahine LK, Cedars MI. Patient willingness to participate in a clinical trial with preimplantation genetic diagnosis. Fertil Steril. 2008;89(4):879-84.
- Klatsky PC, Cronbach EJ,Shahine LK, Caughey AB. Abruptio placentae in the setting of an atypical presentation of acute appendicitis: a case report. J Reprod Med 2008;53(2):129-131.
- Friedman BE,Shahine LK, Lathi RB. SSRIs: Implications for women's health across the reproductive life span. Sexuality, Reproduction, and Menopause 2008(6):27-32.
- Shahine LK, Lathi RB, Dahan M. Metformin and fetal malformations. Fertil Steril 2007; 87(5)1240.
- Shahine LK, Cedars MI. Preimplantation genetic diagnosis and pregnancy rates in patients at risk for aneuploidy. Fertil Steril 2006; 85:51-6.
- Shahine LK, Lathi R. Night sweats and elevated FSH levels associated with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors in a pre-menopausal woman. Obstet Gynecol 2006;108(3 Pt 2):741-2.
- Shahine LK, Caughey AB. Preimplantation genetic diagnosis. Gynecol Obstet Invest. 2005;60(1):39-46.
I can't say enough about their (the doctors and staff at Pacific NW Fertility) level of expertise. I truly believe my success was due to the experience of the staff. Their confidence, communication, and highly systematic approach were key to ensuring the process was a success.